Saturday, January 3, 2015

Year in Review 2014

Last year I interviewed Adam and Aaron for my "Year in Review." This year, I interviewed my mom during the holiday break. We sat by my parents' fireplace and completed this together.  

 1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Marvel:
Went to Chicago, hosted a nice dinner for my retired work friends 

Chrissy: Edited a travel guide, went to Chicago with my family for a travel story (and stayed within ONE PENNY of my budget!), sat underneath a waterfall, tailgated before a Vikings game. (The crazy fans ... just wow.)


2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Marvel: I didn't make any.
Chrissy: Yes! In November, I bought the "21 Day Fix" workout DVDs, thanks to my sister-in-law's recommendation, and I've been getting up at 5 a.m. every morning to do a workout. It's a little cardio and A LOT of strength training and I really, really like it (the variety, the intensity, the 60-second intervals with short breaks inbetween). Now that I'm getting older, I want to be strong and healthy rather than a certain number on the scale. 


3. Did anyone close to you have a child? 
Marvel: No
Chrissy: Kyle and Rachel had baby Frank


4. Did anyone close to you die?
Marvel: No
Chrissy: My friend Kylie's best friend Jen—an acquaintance—died at age 34. I think about her and her situation on a regular basis. She touched a lot of lives in the (short) time she was here. It still seems surreal.


5. Where did you travel?
Chrissy: We met our good friends from Green Bay in Wisconsin Dells this spring (it's tradition now), and this summer we went to Crivitz, Wis. (Fourth of July) and then Lake Namekagon with my immediate family. This fall, we went to Chicago (road trip!) and Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior. Our Larsmont trip was the first trip we've taken with JUST our family of four. It was so much fun.  
Marvel: I went to San Diego with three of my cousins. We went whale watching, shopping, and laughed about any and everything. I also went to Chicago and Lake Namekagon (near Hayward, Wis.) with family.

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Marvel: I want to volunteer at the food shelf and find a church we like.
Chrissy: Less screen time, more quality family time. More planned-ahead (healthy) dinners. Better budgeting.

7. What dates remain etched upon your memory and why?
Nothing beyond the usual family birthdays and holidays


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Marvel: I bought some giant-sized lilies at the zoo and it was a major accomplishment getting them to grow.
Chrissy: Figuring out a work/life balance. I think this will get more and more complicated when the boys' sports require more of a time commitment. We've been able to keep it limited so far (Saturday morning swimming lessons in winter/spring, t-ball once a week in summer, Saturday morning soccer), but now that Adam is getting older, he actually has practices AND games ... and I'm sure Ben will, too.  


9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
Marvel: ?? 
Chrissy: I wanted to volunteer somewhere, and never did. I think that every year.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no. When you have your health, you have a lot.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
Marvel: I bought a coffee table from Vintage Junkie. We also bought a bigger pontoon for our boat so it can support more weight. And new carpet in the sunroom, a new door, and new windows!
Chrissy: 2010 Honda CRV (no more spontaneous Saturn Vue breakdowns!!!) and my iPhone. (How did I survive without one before?!) ha ha! 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Marvel: The doctors caring for those with Ebola

Chrissy: Anyone who did good for others without seeking recognition. "The true test of a person's character is what he or she does when no one is watching." 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Marvel: ISIS/terrorists

Chrissy: Ferguson rioters/looters. If nothing else, what happened in Ferguson sparked conversations about peaceful protests, race equality, and the men and women who put their lives on the line every day. It's easy to only see the side of the story you want to see, rather than examining the issue from BOTH sides.      
  
14. Where did most of your money go?
Marvel: Insurance
Chrissy: The usual: Mortgage, groceries, bills, preschool (so expensive, but so worth it!)


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Marvel: Buying gifts and celebrating with everyone at Christmas
Chrissy: Every time we traveled somewhere!
 
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Marvel: “Let it go" (Frozen)
Chrissy: "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea, "Happy" by Pharell (Ben loves this song), "Bangarang" (reminds me of seeing Doomtree at the State Fair), "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line & Nelly (reminds me of the boys BELTING this out from the back seat, pretty much any time they heard it), "Waves" by Mr. Probz, "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Marvel: a.) Happier b.) Fatter c.) Poorer  
Chrissy: a.) Same b.) Slightly thinner and more toned c.) A little richer 

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Marvel: More walking, volunteered somewhere
Chrissy: More freelance, more healthy meals

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Marvel: Less eating
Chrissy: Spent less time on FB when I should have been giving the boys my undivided attention.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Marvel: We went to our oldest son's house in Montrose for Christmas Eve with the immediate family and had a great Italian dinner; on Christmas Day Bob, my sister Karen and I saw Unbroken, and on December 27 we hosted Christmas with my side of the family ... 25 people.
Chrissy: We celebrated with friends and family throughout the month of December.


21. What was your favorite TV show?
Marvel: Call the Midwife, American Idol 
Chrissy: I don't watch much TV ... I'd say the usual, The Big Bang Theory, Parks & Rec, or Modern Family. (I did watch the first few episodes of Fargo, but it was a little too gory/violent for me.)


22. What was the best book you read?
Marvel: The Storyteller
Chrissy: Me Before You or Wonder 

23. What was the best movie you saw?
Marvel: Fury 
Chrissy: Boyhood (SO GOOD!!!)


24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Marvel: I turned 63. We celebrated with family at Mary and Ben's house.  
Chrissy: I turned 39. A group of friends and family went snowtubing at Green Acres in Lake Elmo and then a few of us had dinner & drinks at Pinz in Oakdale. I celebrated with my "string sisters" on a separate weekend at Ward 6 on the East Side. (I made them come to MY neck of the woods!)


25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Marvel: Jeans and sweaters ... just finding clothes that fit and look decent.
Chrissy: Does this change from year to year? Still not super trendy but (hopefully) not outdated!!! My young, hip coworkers keep me (somewhat) current. :)


26. Who did you miss last year?  
Marvel: My dad.
Chrissy: I miss Tonya. A lot. I miss my cousin Sara, esp. during holidays (gotta give props to Facetime, though, for keeping us "connected"!) I miss my grandma and Aaron's grandpa Lowell. 

27. Who was the best new person/new people you met?
Marvel: The nurses who take such good care of my 86-year-old mom. 
Chrissy: My book club friends!! I love that I get to see old friends (Julie, Alex, and Kelly) and new friends on a monthly basis. Throughout 2014, I was able to see all of my friends on a regular basis, at dinners, barbeques, our annual camping trip, the annual ice fishing contest, birthday celebrations, concerts, and playdates. 

28. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014:
Marvel: Be tolerant.
Chrissy: "Being kind is more important than being right."  

2 comments:

Em said...

I loved reading your mom's answers! Also, good for you getting up at 5 a..m. to exercise. I am so impressed. It sounds like you had a great year!

A. said...

I loved the pairing of you and your mom. Great year!