Friday, September 5, 2014

A little better than he expected

I was worried about how Adam would handle his first day of first grade, and as it turns out - maybe I was more worried than he was. When he woke up in the morning, he seemed ok. He maybe even smiled. 
"I'm just gonna do whatever Michael does today," he announced.
It was as if he decided overnight that Michael would be his rock, and he was going to hold onto that thought for dear life, like a life preserver.
Fine by me. 


Aaron made him scrambled eggs and he ate (almost) everything on his plate. There were no tears. He posed for a first day photo outside and seemed relaxed. He talked a little bit to Ben on the drive to preschool, and then grew quiet. I checked in the rearview mirror a few times to see if he was wearing his worried face. He looked a little scared, but not terrified. Nothing like last year.


When we got to preschool, he gave me a hug and kiss and joined his other friends (the "school-agers") - the routine wasn't much different than it has been all summer. 
Ben had a new locker and a new teacher, and seemed indifferent to the change. He walked over by his old locker, seemed a little confused that it wasn't his name on the extra-change-of-clothes basket, then found his name on the other side of the room and hung his coat there.
"I'm going to be your teacher now, Ben," said Ms. R, who greets us every morning. "Everyone who has a fish nametag on their locker is in our class."
He walked around looking at the photos on the fish nametags, then lost interest and wandered over to his friends. I had to call him back to say goodbye. "I almost forgot to give you a hug and a kiss!" he exclaimed, grabbing my face in his hands.
I hugged and kissed him, looked over at Adam who was laughing with his friends, yelled "Have a good first day!" and was glad when Adam smiled and waved goodbye. Ben smiled, too. 
And that was it. 
That was the first time in two years that I've left a "first day" classroom without tears, without having to forcefully remove little fingers from a death grip around my neck, without having to see a sad face crying, crying, crying from his spot on the "goodbye chair" at the window as I drove away (the heartbreak!), without having to feel that familiar sad ache deep in the pit of my stomach, like I failed as a mom, like I was being insensitive and mean, abandoning my child in a place he didn't want to be.
Friends and family sent supportive texts and emails throughout the day. "So far, so good!" I replied.
I thought about him as the day went on, but not like last year, when I couldn't concentrate on anything else knowing how sad and worried he was.
When I went to pick up the boys, I found Ben sitting on the floor next to a little boy who I didn't recognize, working on some type of puzzle.
"I have a new friend," he announced when he noticed me watching them. Then, his insecurity showed through when turned to Caleb and asked, "You are my friend, right?"
I was relieved when Caleb nodded yes.
When we were away from his little friends, he told me that he was the only one in his class who knew how to hold a scissors. He was pretty proud of that fact. (When you're 4, it's the little things.)
"How do you think your brother did today?" I asked.
He shrugged. "Probably good."
We walked together to his class upstairs, where Adam was playing a computer game with one of his friends (a third grader). He walked over to his locker to grab his giant Minnesota Wild backpack and threw it over his shoulder like a college kid. 
"So, how was it?" I asked (the suspense was killing me).
"It was a little better than I expected," he answered. "But there's a mean kid in my class."
When I asked what his name was, he said "It's a girl, Mom." (Why do I assume 'kid' means 'boy'?! Is that a common assumption?) He said she wouldn't get up off the floor in gym class and "WASTED HALF THE TIME JUST LYING THERE" (Adam's favorite class is gym, so I'm sure that really irritated him) and she talked bad to the teacher and, to top it off, she hit Adam's backpack when he was leaving, and he didn't even do ANYTHING to her. I told him that sometimes the mean kids need love the most, and he should always be nice to them (at first, anyhow). "Sometimes girls who like boys act mean," I went on to say (a boy in my third grade class used to try to wipe boogers in my hair. As it turns out, he had a crush on me. Go figure.) "No, she doesn't like me, she's just mean," Adam answered.
Maybe she was nervous. Maybe she was overtired. Maybe she was scared.
Or, maybe she IS mean. If that's the case, I hope she doesn't target Adam. 
Lunch was pizza, and that was good. He ate most of it. Michael and Adam played together at recess, because Blake, Gunnar, and Kellen wanted to play soccer, 3 against 2, and Michael said that wasn't fair and he QUIT. So Adam quit too. Adam wasn't the first one done with his math assignment, but that was alright. His teacher was nice. His class talked about what they did this summer, and Adam didn't want everyone looking at him, so said "I pass" when it was his turn to talk. Michael also passed (even though he went to Legoland and probably NO ONE ELSE went to Legoland this summer). 
We drove home and waited for Aaron, then headed to Chipotle to celebrate. I have a feeling it might become a first day of school tradition.
The second day went pretty good, too, with the exception of Adam getting the hot dog at lunch, which he KNOWS he doesn't like, which resulted in him throwing away the hot dog and only eating an apple and drinking his milk rather than actually asking the lunch lady for a PB&J (which he KNOWS he likes). "Everyone would look at me," he told me when I reprimanded him for not ordering the sandwich. (In kindergarten, they would give their orders to the teacher, who would relay them to the lunch lady. Now, as a first grader, he's responsible for speaking up in the lunch line.) Aaron and I had a long talk to him about the importance of eating ... nothing that he hasn't heard a billion times already. I have a feeling we'll be having a conversation with the lunch lady at some point.
Day three was another decent day. Still no homework. He did eat lunch (chicken tenders). After school he had a soccer 'meet and greet,' where Aaron, the assistant coach, met the head coach and all the kids on the team. I had to stay late at work to put out some fires—we were on deadline—then joined the boys at the rec center, where Ben fell off the slide (backwards) and hurt his back and wanted to go home RIGHTNOW.
I think everyone is grateful that it's Friday. Week one and done! (And now I'm ready for a nap. Who else is with me?!)

3 comments:

A. said...

Yay for a good first week! What a great feeling all around.

Em said...

So happy to hear the week went well. I hope week two is going well, too.

I like the Chipotle tradition. I told Clare I'd take her out to lunch after her first day of preschool tomorrow. She picked Noodles. :)

A. said...

I need an update! Is that girl still mean? Does he ask for what he needs at lunch? Are he and Michael still like glue or has he started to make other friends?

How's Ben doing during the day? Learning anything new?