Monday, January 6, 2014

Year in Review: 2013


1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Adam:
I went to my first school birthday party (Pinz bowling alley/arcade for my best friend Michael).

Aaron: I went to San Diego with my friends (Steve, Jesse, and Luke) to celebrate our 40th birthdays; went to Santa Cruz for a work trip, went backpacking/camping along the Superior Hiking Trail this fall with Shawn, Jeremy, Kyle, and Josh.
Chrissy: Went to my 20th high school reunion and had a BLAST.  Joined Weight Watchers and even went to a few corny meetings (and decided it definitely wasn’t for me, although—if you stick to the plan and count points—it can be highly effective. One week alone I lost four pounds!) Judged the Aquatennial floats at the Torchlight Parade. Crossed the Mississippi River at Itasca State Park. 


2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Adam: What’s a resolution?
Aaron: I don’t know if I ever made one last year.
Chrissy: Yes! Well, sort of … maybe not to the extent that I wanted, but I started walking at lunch with my friend Anna anywhere from two to four times/week. (The Convention Center is our personal indoor track.) I love this lunch-time routine. It’s not only a good way to get a little workout, the conversations have brought Anna and I closer. I also cut down drastically on diet soda, and only drink it occasionally now instead of every day.


3. Did anyone close to you have a child? 
Chrissy: Katie D. had Ruby, Amanda had Maisy, Katie S. had Teagan, Emily had Christopher, Kirsten had Henrik, and Christine had Sofie. Baby boom!
Aaron: Coworkers Heather had Colin and Irina has Conley. 


4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no.


5. Where did you travel?
Chrissy: Sadly, I didn’t board an airplane in 2013. I did go on some little road trips, though. I went to Minocqua, Wis. for the annual college girls’ get-together, to Wisconsin Dells (this time The Wilderness vs. the Kalahari) for our annual indoor waterpark trip with our Green Bay friends, to Criviz, Wis. for the Fourth of July, and to Itasca State Park for our annual family vacation.
Aaron: I went to California twice and to Lutsen for a backpacking/camping trip (see #1.)

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Chrissy and Aaron: Less screen time, more quality family time. More planned-ahead (healthy) dinners. Better budgeting.

7. What dates remain etched upon your memory and why?
June 22: Aaron and Russ’s combined 40th birthday bash at Flat Earth Brewery (day) and then to O’Gara’s (evening) in St. Paul. Fun night with family and good friends!


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Aaron: Our upstairs closet remodeling project.
Chrissy: Helping Ben with potty-training. Talk about a lesson in patience.


9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
Aaron: Hmm …
Chrissy: I wanted to volunteer somewhere, and never did. I think that every year. When will I actually do something about that thought? 


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no.  When you have your health, you have a lot.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
Adam: Pokemon cards
Aaron: Surly Overrated
Chrissy: Triple A (the Vue was our problem child!)


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Aaron and Chrissy: Those who helped defeat the hateful/hurtful anti-marriage amendment and everyone in Minnesota who voted to legalize gay marriage.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Aaron and Chrissy: Politicians fighting so hard against gay marriage. 


14. Where did most of your money go?
Adam: In the bank
Aaron and Chrissy: The usual: Mortgage, groceries, bills, daycare/preschool (so expensive!)


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Adam: Getting Pokemon cards, going to the indoor waterpark with our friends
Aaron: Trip to the Dells; California
Chrissy: My dad’s retirement party, my mom’s surprise retirement dinner, my high school reunion (seeing Tonya!), Aaron’s 40th birthday, camping with friends at Hok-Si-La, trips to Green Bay (friends) and Itasca State Park (family). I would be more excited about the indoor waterpark if I didn’t have to spend so much time in a bathing suit.


16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Adam: “Roar” by Katy Perry “I’ve got the eye of the tiger inside me …”
Aaron: “Royals” by Lorde
Chrissy: “Clarity” by Zedd (reminds me of camping in the rain), also “Reminder” by Mumford and Sons (they sang this acapella at the X, from a special stage in the center of the main floor. We were only a few rows away. It was a very intimate, very memorable performance.)


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Adam: a.) Happier, I’m in kindergarten b.) What is this question!?! c.) Richer  
Chrissy: a.) Same b.) Slightly thinner (by only a few pounds) c.) Same 
Aaron: a.) Same  b.) Same c.)  Richer


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Adam: Played more football
Chrissy: Followed through. Volunteered somewhere. Been kind to myself.
Aaron: Running


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Adam: Let’s see, hmm. I wish I’d done less driving. No, wait, not driving, um, sitting in the car. Riding in the car, because when I’m riding in the car, I can’t do other fun things.
Chrissy: Spent less time on FB when I should have been giving the boys my undivided attention.
Aaron: Chewing (bad habit!)


20. How did you spend Christmas?
Adam: It was GOOD. We went to Grandma and Grandpa’s and Grandma Patti’s.
Aaron and Chrissy: We celebrated with friends and family throughout the month of December.


21. What was your favorite TV show?
Adam: Watching the Timberwolves. I love them.
Aaron: Modern Family, Parks and Rec
Chrissy: I love Modern Family. This year I'd like to watch Orange is the New Black, The Midwives, and Downton Abbey. We’ll see if that happens. (I watched the first season of DA and loved it, totally my kind of show.) I also love Ellen.


22. What was the best book you read?
Adam: Jack and Annie 
Chrissy: Definitely Wild by Cheryl Strayed 
Aaron: The Hunger Games trilogy


23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Aaron and Chrissy: Not really a ‘discovery,’ but a new appreciation for Trampled by Turtles and Jay-Z after seeing them in concert.


24. What did you want and get?
Adam: A race car track and Pokemon cards
Aaron and Chrissy: A nice, understanding, supportive kindergarten teacher for Adam and a familiar face in his class (Michael!); a smooth transition from daycare to preschool for Ben.


25. What did you want and not get?
Adam: I don’t know. Wait, I know. Probably another 60-pack of Pokemon cards. 
Aaron: I don’t know. I can’t think of anything.
Chrissy: Self-cleaning underwear for Ben, less anxiety for Adam.


26. What was your favorite movie of the year?
Adam: Smurfs 2
Aaron: Did we even see one at the theater last year?
Chrissy: Gravity. I loved, loved, loved that movie (and I honestly don’t understand the people who can’t share my enthusiasm. What’s not to love, you crazy people?!) *I saw this with my parents, not Aaron.


27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Adam: Six. I had a party at my grandma and grandpa’s house.
Aaron: I turned 40. We went to O’Gara’s. I also went to California with a few buddies.
Chrissy: I turned 38. We celebrated by going snowtubing at Green Acres  in Lake Elmo (it’s become tradition) and then had dinner in Oakdale. I also had a nice dinner with my parents and the boys on my actual birthday.


28. What would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Aaron: What is this thing and when is it done?
Chrissy: Answer the question. I’m trying to engage with you.
Adam: Yeah, we’re trying to watch the Timberwolves, Mom.
Chrissy: Just answer the question. Only a few more to go.
Aaron: Ok. More family time.
Adam: Getting another 60-pack of Pokemon cards.
Chrissy: Self-acceptance


29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Adam: Sporty
Aaron: I don’t think I have a personal fashion concept.
Chrissy: Casual, with one or two trendy items mixed in. I even wore a short dress and high heels to my reunion. (A fashion risk for me!)


30. What kept you sane?
Adam: What does sane mean?
Aaron: Surly Overrated beer
Chrissy: Aaron and my parents, my brother and SIL, Jeremy, my wonderful girlfriends


31. Which celebrity did you like the most?
Adam: Kevin Love!
Aaron: Jimmy Fallon
Chrissy:  Justin Timberlake. Also, RIP Paul Walker. You were my No. 1 for a long, long time. Gone way too soon.


32. What political issue stirred you the most?
See #12, 13


33. Who did you miss last year?
Adam: Grandma Patti. I wish I could go there more.
Aaron: My grandpa Lowell
Chrissy: Tonya, even though I got to see her twice this year! The person my grandma used to be. Aaron’s grandpa and my deceased grandparents.


34. Who was the best new person you met?
Adam: Christopher, he’s in my class.  
Chrissy: I really like Adam’s kindergarten and Ben’s preschool teachers.
Aaron: Best new person? Hmmm …


35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
Chrissy:  Your check cards are not as secure as you think they are (sorry, Target). Don’t attempt to potty train your kid in three days. Cancer doesn’t discriminate based on age, and visiting a six-year-old at Children’s Hospital—your son’s “best friend in all the world”—will quickly put all of your problems in perspective, make you pray like you haven’t prayed in a long time, and realize how strong and resilient little bodies (and minds) can be, even though they seem so frail and small. Also, Minnesotans, when they stand on the right side of history, will make you feel a sense of love and PRIDE for the people of your hometown state.
Aaron: Life is short. Make the most of it.

2 comments:

A. said...

I love that Surly kept Aaron sane. I hear that, man! Also, I'll be right in line of people supporting him to stop chewing in 2014. His kids need him around a LONG time and you need a nice mouth to smooch...

Miss you guys! Great list!

Em said...

I love it that you had Adam answer these questions too! Such a great idea, and such funny responses. He really loves Pokemon, huh?

I had so much fun reading this! Can't wait to see you guys again soon.