Saturday, November 20, 2010

A few of my favorite things

In honor of Oprah giving her audience "a few of her favorite things" like seven-day cruises, ridiculously expensive jewelry, and designer shoes and bags, I thought I'd make my own list. Plus, it's less than a week before Thanksgiving when everyone gets all sentimental about what they're thankful for, so I thought it was good timing.

1. My boys, my friends, my extended family (cliche, yes, but so true)
2. Good health. Every time I do any sort of exercise, which isn't often enough (shout out to the Guts 'n Butts class!) I try not to get too negative about how hard it is or how much it hurts or how I wish I was on the couch because at least I have the ability to work out. I remind myself that there are people with physical disabilities, people with serious illnesses, people with injuries who—for whatever reason—cannot work out and wish they could so shut up already and hold that plank pose.
3. The clean-cut GQ look vs. the rocker or rugged look
4. Aveda Brilliant shampoo and conditioner
5. Chocolate chip cookies (no walnuts) fresh out of the oven, a top-shelf margarita with a Mexican meal, a juicy burger (California-style) cooked on the grill
6. Sitting around a fire, the smell and crackling sound of wood burning, the mesmerizing glow of the orange and yellow flames, the heat that takes the chill out of the air.
7. Flowerbomb perfume & LaCoste Essential cologne
8. Turtlenecks or t-shirts with blue jeans and tall boots
9. When people do good deeds without needing to be recognized
10. Prince, DMB, Jack Johnson, Dixie Chicks, David Gray, Indigo Girls
11. People who are passionate about their jobs, their hobbies, life in general
12. Those sometimes annoying but absolutely necessary eternal optimists
13. Writing!
14. Christmas and Halloween
15. Sandalwood, vanilla, sea breeze, sugar cookie scented candles
16. Fellow sponges who like to absorb, absorb, absorb
17. Glittery eyeshadow and rhinestone bracelets (sparkle in moderation)
18. Road trips to visit good buddies
19. Bear hugs from people who mean it
20. Good listeners who really listen and aren't just thinking of what they're going to say next
21. Inspiring books and movies
22. Small kids with big personalities
23. Aaron - the most altruistic person I've ever known
24. Dancing at wedding receptions
25. Our goose down comforter
26. Ben's belly laughs and Adam's uncontrollable giggles
27. The Victorian era
28. Mitch Hedberg
29. Friends and family (they're so amazing it's worth repeating)
30. Camping with the crew at Hok-si-la
31. Puppies and kitties (of all ages)
32. A home-cooked meal, by someone other than me
33. Summer weekends with my family, parents, brothers, SIL, and niece in Forest Lake
34. Watching the Olympics - esp gymnastics and figure skating
35. Anyone with an open mind and heart
36. Modern Family, The Office, Ellen (love her!), 30 Rock (big fan of Tina Fey), Glee, DWTS, AI, trashy reality shows
37. Word games, lawn games, bar games, drinking games
38. When the underdogs win
39. Running, snowboarding, softball, shopping, socializing, planning get-togethers, bachelorette parties, baby/bridal showers (more games!), play dates, BBQs, holiday gatherings, milestone birthday celebrations, reunions, happy hours, GNO, dinners with friends/family
40. Uninterrupted sleep

No comments: