Monday, April 14, 2008

Who's so big?

I love this stage of Adam's development. He's not high-maintenance (meaning he still immobile so I don't have to worry about bumps and falls), he wakes up with a huge smile on his face and keeps smiling throughout the day, he still likes traveling and going places and meeting new people (not that he has a choice), he makes us laugh with his animated expressions and his funny faces, and he still likes to cuddle, especially right before bed.
I know some day he'll push away from me when I try to hug him, so I constantly smother him with hugs and kisses and take advantage of the fact that he can't roll his eyes and tell me to "STOP IT MOM."
He does "So big" now (on cue), and babbles all the time and sings along to the radio (in his own language), and sits without support, and rolls both ways, but doesn't scoot or creep or crawl just yet. Aaron has tried to "teach" Adam to crawl by putting him on his stomach, propping him up in the crawling "stance," then holding onto his chubby little thighs and imitating the back-and-forth crawling motion, but Adam isn't really into the lessons. After about 15 seconds, he does a face plant and cries out in frustration and immediately rolls onto his back. We've tried putting toys just out of his reach and he'll ignore the toys and play with his toes instead. I'm not too worried. I figure he'll start crawling when he's ready.
His favorite book is a dog book from Tonya that has soft fuzzy pages he can pet, and now he thinks every book is like this and tries to pet them all.
He loves my mom & dad's cat, Pip, and his face lights up when we say "Where's the kitty?" We do this sometimes when the cat is nowhere near us, and now that I think of it, that's probably kind of mean, like asking a kid "When is Santa coming?" when it's only June. He also loves his Aunt Trish and Uncle Shawn's dog Bella, who is extremely good with him. (Can't say the same for Pip, who is always a split second away from attacking.)
Adam's talent is how fast he can suck down an 8 oz. bottle. He can down a bottle in less than five minutes. I am not surprised. His dad won a beer-drinking contest in college.
He loves eating Stage 1 vegetables, but doesn't like any of the Stage 2 fruits. Isn't that weird? He'd rather eat squash, peas, or carrots than bananas, peaches, or applesauce. I was so excited to give him applesauce for the first time and his face was a look of pure agony. I laughed so hard I cried.
He sleeps through the night, in his own crib. He doesn't always like to go to bed (Ok, almost never) but once he does fall asleep, he (usually) stays asleep from around 8 p.m. to around 6 a.m.
We're finally going to finally have him baptized at St. Mark's. We looked into it after Sunday's service. Better late than never.
Oh yeah, we also had our first Water Babies class through community ed. So far he has learned the backstroke, butterfly, and crawl stroke. He will learn diaphragmatic breathing techniques next week. (If you think I'm serious, I also have some prime Florida swampland to sell you.)

1 comment:

A. said...

Super cool for both things: Water Babies and baptism. Maybe you waited to baptize him until after Water Babies? Now he won't cry when his head gets a little wet at church. ;)